Monday, October 6, 2014

The Kentucky Bag

Remember the Mississippi Bag I posted about HERE. That was the first time I'd made a bag from Numb-Skull Patterns. It was so easy to follow that I was delighted to be approved as a bag tester for Sarah Goodall. Not long after came my first test bag for Sarah.

The Kentucky Bag. The pattern was really great to follow. All the steps flow easily so that each step is completed as you go. You don't have to make one piece then set it aside for later to use again on another part of the bag and I really like that for every piece there is a pattern print out. Even the strap which is always something I hate having to measure out.
I decided to quilt the outer part and flap of my bag but in the pattern it's plain. The pattern also uses a twist lock on the flap which makes it look really professional. I couldn't get hold of one so I used a magnetic button instead.






Under the main flap is a large zipper pocket. Don't know why the photos show the pocket all crumpled, it looks nice and smooth in real life.




The back of the bag also has another zipper pocket.


The key pouch I made at midnight a few evenings after the bag was made. It occurred to me that the one I was using didn't match this bag so made one in matching fabric. All I need now is a matching wallet.


It's not often I can get good photos of the inside of my bags but this one turned out ok. As you can see there's loads of room with another two zipper pockets. This is as much as I usually take out with me. I keep my bank books, ID card and birth certificate in the blue plastic pouch, I'll have to make something for those too, a large wallet and a small one, sunglasses, perfume, my reading glasses and my mobile phone. Just wondering how many of you take everything but the kitchen sink with you.
I find the larger the bag the more I stuff in it. Most of the time with things that aren't necessary. This size bag is just perfect for the essentials and a bit more and with all the zipper pockets everything is organized.

I've been using my bag since I made it and love it. It's light and with only one strap really easy to carry. I find that if a bag has two handles one always drops off my shoulder. Do you have this problem too or is there something wrong with my shoulders? LOL


If you'd like to make The Kentucky Bag then you can find it HERE along with another 16 bag designs that are a part of the 50 State Bag Range that Sarah is in the process of designing. I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks for letting me test your bag Sarah.

Happy Sewing

~ Maria ~

10 comments:

  1. Hi Maria,
    a wonderful bag, lovely with the matching Zipper-Keybag :O)
    Happy new week to you,
    Hugs
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. The features on this bag make it awesome. The zipper pocket under the flap...very nice! And I agree that the size looks like the perfect one so you don't carry to much unnecessary things and hurt your shoulder. LOL I think you just have petite shoulders, nothing wrong. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a nice looking bag - the quilting and the kick of colour from the zippers really add a nice touch!

    I don't carry the kitchen sink in my purse, but even the small amount of stuff I have is starting to feel too heavy. I'm going to have to downsize soon to get feeling back in my shoulders, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Love your version of the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this bag, Maria. It seems well planned out with enough room for anything I would carry with me. I love the touch of "bold" with the bright zippers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bag, Maria! You really inspire me with your use of quilting on your bags. I believe I am going to try it soon! :) I also really like the floral fabric--the color combination you chose is beautiful. Well done! :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww this bag is lovely, I love the colour and the quilting is amazing.

    I'm going to tell you a secret I don't use bag for my day to day !!!! I use to carry my phone in the back pocket of my jeans and my phone case has a slot for my credit cards. I just carry a bag when I go out with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this bag . . . you did a beautiful job! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. visiting from sew darn crafty. What a beautifully finished bag

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful job on the bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments mean so much to me and inspire me to create.
~Maria~