Friday, April 11, 2014

Sugar & Spice Bag

A lady saw my Sugar & Spice bag which you can see in my blog header and asked if I could make one like it but with some patchwork and shorter handles.

I've been wanting to make this bag again but just haven't had the time so I was delighted to be making it again.

The Sugar & Spice bag is designed by Christine at ChrisWDesigns where you'll find a beautiful selection of bag patterns. All of Christine's patterns are well illustrated with loads of step by step photos and very clear instructions. Believe me if I can follow them anyone can.
This bag is one of my favourite designs it has loads of pockets, inside and out. The first one I made was on my domestic sewing machine and it's only now that I have an industrial sewing machine that I wondered how on earth I managed to use upholstery fabrics and still be able to sew through so much thickness. On my industrial one this was a piece of cake. If you use the fabrics recommended in the pattern you should have no problem on an ordinary machine.

I decided to patchwork the two outer pockets.
This bag doesn't have a front and a back as both sides are the same. The only difference on mine is the patchwork fabrics vary very slightly.
It has two slip pockets on either side of the outer body.



This is the other side.





I always have such a problem taking photos of bag insides. Inside it has four slip pockets and you may just be able to see on the top inside pockets of the photo there is space for a pen in the center.


This is the base of the inside of the bag which you can see above in the photo. It fits nice and snug and adds strength to the bottom of the bag.


The pattern has fabric zipper tabs but since finding these nice metal ones that are so easy and quick to install I've practically given up with fabric ones.
 

Today I needed a fabric storage bin so quickly made one of those. I'll take some photos and show you that tomorrow.

Thanks for dropping by

~ Maria ~

11 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Maria. I am so envious of those of you that quilt. It is perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow It's gorgeous, I'm so jealous of your bags lol. I love that fabric. When do you find those metal zipper ends? they look so neat. I loke this pattern a lot, I want to make one someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marilyn--it's a beautiful bag!

    Metal zipper tabs? I didn't know anything like that existed! They give a nice look-- I'm off to Google them.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have the pattern for the wallet you posted if it is possible...my email is mcbmccoy@bellsouth.net....thank you...Love the bag...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello.
    Thanks for your visit. Your blog is beautiful.
    Happy weekend.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job Maria! The patchwork add a gorgeous touch too. I just started a Weekend Link Party, if you want to drop by and post this bag there that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried googling metal zipper tabs but the only thing that came up were zipper pulls. Who are the wonderful people that carry the metal tabs? They look so sleek and give a very professional look to your work.
    thelady at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh.. the patchwork is a lovely addition.. beautiful work as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi - just wondering where you find the metal zipper ends. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I couldn't email you but you are on no reply. I buy them from a local bag maker. I've ordered some from him and as soon as they arrive I'll be doing a giveaway on my blog for some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really came out great! Love the patchwork...made a nice design element.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Your comments mean so much to me and inspire me to create.
~Maria~